When you join or renew your Wild Ones membership you enable us to continue offering programs like these. A small portion of every chapter membership fee goes to fund these programs. Thank you.
Kathy Widin: Book Discussion: Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Kimmerer — February 12, 2019
Reports on Two Pollinator Protection Initiatives: Innovative Pollinator Habitat Mapping in Washington County (Tara Kelly), and an Update on the Governor’s Pollinator Protection Committee Recommendations (Dan MacSwain) – January 15, 2019
- Here’s a link Tara recommends to the Board of Water and oil Resources work with pollinators. They partnered with the Washington Conservation District on the pollinator mapping Tara described.
- Here’s a link to the Committee Recommendations for Pollinator Protection that Dan discussed.
Searching for Minnesota’s Native Wildflowers — author Phyllis Root, photographer Kelly Povo — October 16, 2018
- Here’s a link to their book.
- Phyllis and Kelly referenced many MN Scientific and Natural Areas in their presentation. You will find lots of SNA information and activities/tours at this website: Friends of Minnesota Scientific and Natural Areas.
- Another great resource they discussed was the Botanical Wanderings. This is a public Facebook group founded by Michael Lynch (one of our speakers at the 2019 Design With Nature Conference 2/16/19).
Here are four links to material Chris presented. The last one is the Herp Mapper App you can use to help collect data on amphibians and reptiles throughout Minnesota, and document turtle-road crossing and mortality hotspots for MnDOT.
- MnDOT Wildlife webpage
- MnDOT Pollinator webpage
- Monarch Highway page with Monarch Joint Venture
- Amphibian and Reptile Survey of Minnesota w/ links to the app and projects
Field Trip, William O’Brien State Park with Jason Husveth — Rare Plants of Northern Washington County – June 7, 2018
Establishing and Restoring Prairies for Native Plants and Wild Bees: Researching what drives success – Julia Brokaw, Cariveau Bee Lab, University of Minnesota – March 20, 2018
Here are two good resources from the meeting:
- Plants for MN Bees — a program handout from the U of MN Bee Lab
- Building and Managing Bee Hotels for Wild Bees –speaker Julia Brokaw referenced this
- Here’s their website.
Malcolm & Rosemary MacFarlane: Native Northern Orchids – September 9, 2017
2017 Landscape Revival: Native Plant Expo & Market – June 3, 2017
2017 Wild Ones Design With Nature Conference: Planting Matters – February 18, 2017
Gary Noren, Environmentalist and Nature Photographer at our Annual Membership Meeting and Potluck – November 15, 2016
Heather Holm: Selecting Native Trees and Shrubs that Support Pollinators – September 20, 2016
Tour of Pam Hartley’s Lake Elmo Landscape and Restored Prairie – July 23, 2016
Guided Tour of Carpenter Nature Center’s Wisconsin Campus – July 10, 2016
2016 Landscape Revival Native Plant Expo & Market – June 4, 2016
Tour of Brown’s Creek Trail – May 14, 2016
FILM: “Hometown Habitat, Stories of Bringing Nature Home” – April 30, 2016
Four Table Topics: Local resource People Answer Your Questions –April 19, 2016
2016 Wild Ones Design With Nature Conference: Good Design Matters – February 20, 2016
Joe Sausen: The Changing Need of Birds in a Nature-Based Landscape – January 19, 2016
Kathy Widin: Tour of Valley View Park in Oak Park Heights – August 16, 2015
FamilyMeans 23rd Annual St. Croix Garden Tour – July 10 – 11, 2015
2015 Landscape Revival: Native Plant Expo & Market – June 6, 2015